Now that “the Donald” is president, restless illegal immigrants in the US are now facing likely deportation. The “build that wall” mantra appears to be moving forward, leaving millions to consider their residency options.
Enter Canada’s Prime Minister Justin Trudeau who has opened the door for those fleeing persecution in the US by lifting visa requirements for the Mexican people. Starting in December, numerous Mexicans sought refuge in Canada and its generous refugee asylum program.
According to Canada’s True North Initiative report, written by its Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB), last month saw an explosion of immigration north of 2,500 percent.
For those who cross the Canadian border by foot, they can lawfully apply for refugee or political asylum status. The illegal immigrants do have to meet with an immigration judge and explain why they are fearful for their lives if they were to return to their homeland, including the US.
During the immigration process, asylum seekers are able to “take” part of Canada’s lavish social safety programs, including health care benefits many Canadian’s must pay extra for. According to the Toronto Sun, “Only about 10 percent of those applications were eventually accepted and given refugee status in Canada. The remaining 90 percent of cases were either abandoned by the claimant or rejected by a Canadian immigration judge. These bogus claimants cost Canadian taxpayers hundreds of millions annually through social welfare programs, legal aid, court costs and deportation services. The low acceptance rate for Mexican asylum seekers is due to the fact that, while Mexico is a dangerous country, simply coming from a dangerous place is not enough to qualify for asylum in Canada.”
Nevertheless, Trudeau announced his country would eliminate the visa requirement for Mexican neighbors to the south. “This move will make it easier for our Mexican friends to visit Canada while growing our local economies and strengthening our communities,” he told Parliament after a bilateral meeting with Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto.
However, the new policy was met with criticism because it allows any Mexican national to visit without background checks or guarantee they will return home.
A recent Reuter’s article interviewed several Mexican nationals set for deportation by America and the illegal immigrants indicated they were looking to call Canada home! “’I want to go to Canada,’ said one man who was deported from the US for drug possession and working illegally without immigration status. ‘For those without documents, I think (the United States) is over. Now it’s Canada’s turn,’” the criminal said.
So far the Canadian government data highlights that it’s approved more than 61,500 Electronic Travel Authorization forms (eTAs) to Mexican nationals, tripling the number of usual visitors. The question many Canadian taxpayers have is “will they leave?” Luckily, that maiden voyage should be answered in June when the first rounds of visa holders are supposed to leave.
In the meantime, the Trump administration has implemented a new program to prod America’s sanctuary cities by shaming local jails that refuse to honor Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) detainers. Staunch Trump supporters say the president is following through on a campaign promise to deport the worst of the worst criminals, while the open border crowd claims Trump is targeting Hispanics.
Now that Trump has occupied the Oval Office for 60 days, ICE released the sanctuary city list fashioned after President Trump’s executive order (EO) that he signed in January. The EO specifically asked government agencies to document which jurisdictions refused to cooperate with ICE’s new strict policies to apprehend and deport criminal illegal aliens.
Following through with Trump’s EO, newly-minted Attorney General Jeff Sessions released a statement on the Declined Detainer Outcome Report: “This important report demonstrates a clear and ongoing threat to public safety. It is not acceptable for jurisdictions to refuse to cooperate with federal law enforcement by releasing criminal aliens back into our communities when our law required them to be deported. The Department of Justice will use all lawful authority to ensure that criminals who are illegally in this country are detained and removed swiftly and to hold accountable jurisdictions that willfully violate federal law.”
Sanctuary cities and aiding and abetting illegal immigration are on a collision course to test the Supremacy Clause of the Constitution (Article VI) and President Trump’s immigration policies.